Named European Capital of Culture for 2013, Košice (in eastern Slovakia) will next year host a large number of artistic projects focused on transforming the city's 'cultural, social and economic environment' and deepening the engagement of its public with culture and the arts. One of these projects is K.A.I.R. - Košice Artists in Residence.
An open call has been issued for emerging artists, working in any discipline, to apply for the K.A.I.R. programme. Its three main goals are to:
- Support the creative energy of every invited artist and give her/him the chance to work in a new environment and to find (new) artistic ways of expression.
- Stimulate the art scene in Košice, in the region, and in the whole of Slovakia. Support dialogue, as well as confrontation, between residency artists, local artists and the general public.
- Create/strengthen a beneficial environment for the development of innovative and international contemporary art projects with international and local participants.
The Košice 2013 team will introduce participating residents to the city's social environment; help them to build networks and collaborate with local artists; and organise public events (exhibitions, artist talks, screenings, workshops, open studios) at which they can present their work.
Residencies last three months and can take place anywhere within the period February - December 2013. The organisation provides accommodation, an honorary, and travel and material costs. Applicants must be emerging practitioners based outside Slovakia, must be open to collaboration with local artists, and must be prepared to give two presentations – one during the residency, and one at the end.
Applications must consist of three PDF files:
- PDF 1: Curriculum Vitae – a short CV including your name, address, phone, email, educational and working background.
- PDF 2: Letter of motivation and objectives – briefly describe your motivation to come to Košice and your initial ideas for projects you would like to realise.
- PDF 3: Portfolio – artist statement and presentation of artworks (texts, photos, links to YouTube, Vimeo, Soundcloud, etcetera).
Applications that meet the above criteria should be e-mailed to Adéla Foldynová on email@example.com by 20 August 2012.